Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bushkill in Pike County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Village of Bushkill

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area

 
 
Village of Bushkill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 2, 2015
1. Village of Bushkill Marker
Inscription. The first recorded European settler in this area was a Spaniard named Manuel Gonzales, who reached here around 1750. Subsequent settlers built a tavern, a gristmill, and other facilities, so that by 1820, Bushkill could be called a village. It had stores, mills, shops, tanneries, a school, and by 1850 a church to serve nearby families.

When farming declined at the end of the 1900s, villagers turned to a new source of income in the emerging recreation industry. Resorts and boarding houses sprang up. By 1901, there were even a railroad which brought vacationers from the cities to Bushkill via the Stroudsburgs. (Today, a part of the railbed is the Railway Avenue footpath.)

By the 1960s, Bushkill included nearly 200 dwelling. However, with the purchase of homes and businesses by the federal government for the proposed Tocks Island Dam, most of the village disappeared. Remnants of Bushkill are still visible: the church and cemetery, the post office building, the foundation of the mill, the general store, and the craft gallery on the corner.

(Inscription regarding the images)
(Far left)
Map of Bushkill in 1872, the shaded areas indicate the buildings in the photographs. Bushkill around 1960:
(Above)
The west side of Route 209. The white building is still in use today as a general store.
(Middle left)
The

Village of Bushkill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 2, 2015
2. Village of Bushkill Marker
Bushkill Mill on Creek Road last served as a restaurant and souvenir shop. Only the foundation remains.
(Left)
The north bank of Bushkill Creek. The 209 bridge is just visible at the left.
(Background)
The millworks.
 
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.
 
Location. 41° 5.394′ N, 75° 0.251′ W. Marker is in Bushkill, Pennsylvania, in Pike County. Marker is on Milford Road (US 209). Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Bushkill Meeting Center. Marker is in this post office area: Bushkill PA 18324, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (here, next to this marker); Fort Hyndshaw (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (approx. 1.5 miles away); Old Mine Road (approx. 1.6 miles away in New Jersey); Dutch Settlers (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Old Mine Road (approx. 3.8 miles away in New Jersey); Delaware Water Gap (approx. 4.9 miles away); This National Park Is Our Home (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bushkill.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Village of Bushkill Trailhead-McDade Recreational Trail image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 2, 2015
3. Village of Bushkill Trailhead-McDade Recreational Trail
Village of Bushkill Marker at the Bushkill Meeting Center image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 2, 2015
4. Village of Bushkill Marker at the Bushkill Meeting Center
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 12, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement