Charles City in Charles City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Capt. John Woodliﬀe
At Jamestown 1608
First Governor of Berkeley
Hundred Plantation 1619
Capt. John Woodlife and 38 settlers
in the Ship "Margaret" landed here
December 4, 1619
First Official Thanksgiving Day
Service in America held here by
Capt. Woodlife and these settlers
Impr wee ordaine that the day of our
ships arrivall at the place assigned
for plantagon in the land of Virginia
shall be yearly and perputualy
keept Holy as a day of Thanksgiving
to Almighty God
Erected by his descendants
The Woodlief-Woodliff Family
Nov. 22, 1956
Erected 1956 by The Woodlief-Woodliff Family.
Location. 37° 18.816′ N, 77° 10.818′ W. Marker is in Charles City, Virginia, in Charles City County. Marker can be reached from Harrison Landing Road 0.9 miles south of Westover Road (Virginia Route 633), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker can be reached by taking left path behind Berkeley Plantation to the James River. Marker is located at Pavilion. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12602 Harrison Landing Road, Charles City VA 23030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Origin of Taps (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Benjamin Harrison (about 600 feet away); First Official Thanksgiving (approx. 0.2 miles away); Berkeley and Harrison's Landing (approx. 0.3 miles away); Herring Creek (approx. 1.2 miles away); Stuart's Ride (approx. 1.2 miles away); First English Thanksgiving in Virginia (approx. 1.3 miles away); Berkeley Plantation or Harrison's Landing (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charles City.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on August 13, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.