Yellowstone National Park in Park County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
A Sense of Community
The last of the structures built by the army (completed in 1913), the chapel added a finishing touch to the fort and was considered by far its most beautiful structure. The community held religious services in the troop mess hall, the post exchange, or in a private residence until the chapel was built. In 1914, Katherine Piercy Edmunds and Captain Albert Ady King of the First U.S. Cavalry became the first couple to be married here.
In the decades since, the chapel continues to serve the community. Thoughtful design has given it a timeless splendor that complements its wilderness setting.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 44° 58.37′ N, 110° 41.891′ W. Marker is in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, in Park County. Marker is on Grand Loop Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Mammoth Hot Springs Area of Yellowstone National Park. Marker is in this post office area: Yellowstone National Park WY 82190, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named A Sense of Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Guard Duty (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); At Guard Crime in Wonderland (about 500 feet away); A Most Fortunate Thing... (about 500 feet away); A Soldier’s Life (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named A Soldier's Life (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Good Duty Station (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yellowstone National Park.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photograph of the interior of the chapel in 1920.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. See all of the markers on the Fort Yellowstone walking tour.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 169 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.