Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Decatur in Dekalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Stoneman Raid

 
 
The Stoneman Raid Marker located on the square in Decatur image. Click for full size.
By Felch Dumas, June 30, 2008
1. The Stoneman Raid Marker located on the square in Decatur
Inscription. In July, 1864, Maj. Gen W.T. Sherman's army (US) closed in on Atlanta. Finding its fortifications "too strong to assault and too extensive to invest," he sought to force its fall by sending Maj. Gen. Geo. Stoneman, with three brigades (2112 men and 2 guns) of the Army of the Ohio cavalry, to cut the Central of Georgia R.R. by which the defenders (CS) were supplied. On the 27th, Stoneman sent Garrard to Flat Rock (12 miles SE) to protect his rear, then left Decatur, crossed the Ocmulgee (Yellow) River near Covington, and turned down the left bank towards Monticello and Macon.

Near Macon on the 30th, he detached part of the 14th Illinois Cavalry which wrecked railway facilities at Griswoldville, Gordon, McIntyre, and Toomsboro (east of Macon), and burned trains, trestles, and the long railway bridge over the Oconee River.

At Macon (95 miles SE), he was turned back by the Georgia Militia, strongly entrenched. Unable to advance, he shelled Macon briefly, then attempted to retreat. Early the next morning, Sunday the 31st, he was brought to bay at Sunshine Church (19 miles NE of Macon) by Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson, Jr., who, with only 1300 cavalry (CS), had marched to intercept him. Deluded into believing that he was surrounded, Stoneman covered the escape northward of Adams' and Capron's brigades, then he surrendered, with
The Stoneman Raid Marker on the square in Decatur. image. Click for full size.
By Felch Dumas, June 30, 2008
2. The Stoneman Raid Marker on the square in Decatur.
Near the Old Courthouse, seen in the background.
about 600 men and his artillery and train, to what Iverson had managed to convince him was a substantially superior force.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 044-80.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 46.498′ N, 84° 17.763′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Georgia, in Dekalb County. Marker is on East Ponce de Leon Avenue 0.1 miles east of Clairemont Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located on the square in Decatur by the Old Courthouse. One block north of the Decatur MARTA Station. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur GA 30030, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Garrard’s Cavalry Raid (here, next to this marker); Battle of Decatur (within shouting distance of this marker); Houston Mill Millstone (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheeler’s Cav. at Decatur (within shouting distance of this marker); DeKalb County (within shouting distance of this marker); Steatite Boulder (within shouting distance of this marker); The Beacon Community (approx. 0.3 miles away); July 22, 1864 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
 
Also see . . .  Stoneman's Raid to Macon. (Submitted on July 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,074 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement