Gulf Shores in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
32 Pounder Sea Coast Defense Gun
On Barbette Carriage
This smoothbore, muzzle-loading cannon was one of the main coast defense weapons in the United States' arsenal when Fort Morgan was completed in 1834. With an eight pound charge of powder the gun could fire a 32 pound solid iron shot about one mile.
At the start of the Civil War in 1861 the 32 pounder was still widely used in coastal forts, but it was being replaced by more powerful and more accurate guns. When the war began there were 78 of these guns at Fort Morgan, but when the fort was captured in 1864 only 14 were still in use.
Location. 30° 13.801′ N, 88° 1.391′ W. Marker is in Gulf Shores, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker can be reached from Fort Morgan Road (Alabama Route 180) 1.6 miles west of Dune Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 AL-80, Gulf Shores AL 36542, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Noble Leslie DeVotie (a few steps from this marker); Fort Bowyer War of 1812 (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Model 1918M1 155mm Gun and Model 1918A1 Carriage (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery Schenck (1899-1923) The Overland Campaign (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 6.4” (100 pounder) Parrott Rifle / 7” Brooke Rifle (about 300 feet away); Battery Thomas (1898-1917) (about 400 feet away); The Citadel (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gulf Shores.
Also see . . . Fort Morgan State Historic Site. (Submitted on August 16, 2015.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 400 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 16, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.