Near Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Major Robert Anderson
Major Robert Anderson
and the one hundred, twenty-eight men of his command
who for thirty-four hours: April Twelve-Thirteen, Eighteen hundred and Sixty-one withstood the destructive
bombardment of Fort Sumter and withdrew with the
honors of war.
The War of Secession began here.
Erected under the bequest of
A daughter of Major Anderson
accepted by Act of Congress
Approved May 11, 1928
Erected 1928 by U. S. Congress.
Location. 32° 45.135′ N, 79° 52.47′ W. Marker is near Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Touch for map. Memorial is located at Fort Sumter National Monument and only reached by boat. See links below for more information about access to the site. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29412, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Flags of the Fort (here, next to this marker); Morris Island (a few steps from this marker); 8-inch (200 Pounder) Parrott (a few steps from this marker); Fort Moultrie (a few steps from this marker); Fort Johnson Charleston Besieged (a few steps from this marker); The Columbiad (within shouting distance of this marker); Ironclads Attack (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
More about this marker. This memorial is the pedestal supporting the main flag staff at Fort Sumter.
Also see . . .
1. Directions to Fort Sumter. The only way to reach the fort is by boat. Most visitors use the Spirit Line Cruises, although private boats are allowed. (Submitted on May 16, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Robert Anderson. Biography of Major Anderson. (Submitted on May 16, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 921 times since then and 47 times this year. Last updated on August 16, 2015, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 16, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.