Plaquemine in Iberville Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Academy of Saint Basil
Built in 1847 by Dr. Edward Scratchley. Occupied as school by Marianite Sisters from 1859-1862 & 1865-1975. Occupied as military command by Union Army 1862-1865. Renovated by Lt. Governor and Mrs. Robert L. Freeman-1990
Location. 30° 17.403′ N, 91° 13.997′ W. Marker is in Plaquemine, Louisiana, in Iberville Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street (State Highway 3066) and Church Street (Route 1), on the right when traveling west on Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 311 Church Street, Plaquemine LA 70764, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old City Hall (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bayou Plaquemine (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gary J. Hebert Memorial Lockhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Plaquemine Tribe World War 1 Memorial Tablet (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Bayou Plaquemine (approx. half a mile away); Morrisonville (approx. 2.4 miles away); Sardine Point (approx. 3 miles away); St. Delphine Plantation (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plaquemine.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2015. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 16, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.