Plaquemine in Iberville Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
On March 13, 1889, Rev. Robert Morrison established the Nazarene Baptist Church one and one half miles north of this site on Australia Point where the community of Morrisonville developed. Due to levee setbacks in 1921 residents relocated to Graceville, named after the land seller, and in 1931 moved to Mayflower Plantation. Dow Chemical relocated the community to Morrisonville Estates in Iberville Parish and Morrisonville Acres in West Baton Rouge Parish in 1990. Today, only the cemeteries remain.
Erected 2004 by The Dow Chemical Company - Louisiana Operations.
Location. 30° 19.405′ N, 91° 13.347′ W. Marker is in Plaquemine, Louisiana, in Iberville Parish. Marker is on Warren Road (State Highway 988) one mile south of South River Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plaquemine LA 70764, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sardine Point (approx. ¾ mile away); Gary J. Hebert Memorial Lockhouse (approx. 2.3 miles away); Bayou Plaquemine (approx. 2.3 miles away); a different marker also named Bayou Plaquemine Old City Hall (approx. 2.3 miles away); Academy of Saint Basil (approx. 2.4 miles away); St. Delphine Plantation (approx. 2½ miles away); Plaquemine Tribe World War 1 Memorial Tablet (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plaquemine.
Categories. • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2015. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.