White Castle in Iberville Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Belle Grove Plantation
One of the grandest plantation mansions ever built in Louisiana, Belle Grove was built at the pinnacle of prosperity during the 1850s sugar boom in the South. Sixty-two feet in height, her thirty foot pillars were capped by solid cypress Corinthian capitals six feet high. Designed by Henry Howard for John Andrews—completed in 1857—the home was later owned by the Henry Ware family. Abandoned by 1925, the Historic American Buildings Survey documented her in 1938. This national treasure burned in 1952.
Erected by Friends of Belle Grove Plantation of Louisiana.
Location. 30° 11.144′ N, 91° 7.205′ W. Marker is in White Castle, Louisiana, in Iberville Parish. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 405 and Stone Street, on the left when traveling south on State Highway 405. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: White Castle LA 70788, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Camp Plantation (approx. ¾ mile away); Administration Building, U.S. Public Health Service Hospital, Carville (approx. ¾ mile away); Cage Door of Harry T. Chimpanzee (approx. The STAR (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Daughters of Charity (approx. 0.8 miles away); Triumph At Carville: A Tale of Leprosy in America (approx. 0.8 miles away); Staff Housing, U.S. Public Health Service Hospital, Carville (approx. 0.8 miles away); A Civil War Soldier (approx. 3.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Friends of Belle Grove Plantation of Louisiana. (Submitted on August 17, 2015.)
2. Belle Grove, White Castle, Iberville Parish, LA. Many pictures and drawings. Library of Congress, Historic American Buildings Survey (Submitted on January 22, 2018.)
3. Belle Grove plantation house (YouTube). Video of the plantation history pictures. (Submitted on January 22, 2018.)
4. Belle Grove Plantation - Iberville Parish, Louisiana (Demolished in 1952) (YouTube). Newspaper articles last 1/3rd of Video. (Submitted on January 23, 2018.)
5. Iberville Parish Louisiana Genealogy Trails, Biographies. History of Belle Grove Plantation owner. (Submitted on January 26, 2018.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2015. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2015. 3, 4. submitted on August 17, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.