Baton Rouge in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church
Methodist preachers, known as "circuit riders", began ministering in the Baton Rouge area in the 1820's. The Methodist Episcopal Church incorporated in 1834, Rev. Charles K. Marshall, Pastor. The congregation built their first church near the corner of Laurel and Fourth Streets and moved to North Boulevard in 1926.
This marker erected 2009 commemorates 175 years of ministry by First United Methodist Church. Chris Andrews, Pastor.
Erected 2009 by First United Methodist Church.
Location. 30° 26.823′ N, 91° 10.84′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker is at the intersection of North Boulevard and East Boulevard, on the right when traveling east on North Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 930 North Blvd, Baton Rouge LA 70802, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beauregard Town (approx. ¼ mile away); Former Governor's Mansion (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Beauregard Town (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. James Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Congregation B'Nai Israel Old Post Office (approx. 0.4 miles away); Potts House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Original Site of the First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baton Rouge.
Also see . . . First United Methodist Church. (Submitted on August 17, 2015.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2015. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?