Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Catharpin in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Sudley Methodist Church

 
 
Sudley Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 10, 2006
1. Sudley Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. The site for the first church, a small brick building, was donated by Landon Carter of Woodland in 1822. During the battles of Manassas (Bull Run), it was used as a field hospital by both the North and the South, but was so badly damaged that it was razed and a frame church built in its place. The second church was struck by lightning in 1918 and burned. The present church was dedicated in 1922. The annual Sudley Church bazaar has been a gathering place for friends and neighbors for decades.
 
Erected 1983 by the Prince William County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 60.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Prince William County Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 38° 50.38′ N, 77° 32.259′ W. Marker is near Catharpin, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is on Sudley Road (Virginia Route 234) 1.6 miles north of Lee Highway, formerly Warrenton Turnpike (U.S. 29), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5308 Sudley Road, Catharpin VA 20143, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Marker, Parking Lot and Church image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 10, 2006
2. Marker, Parking Lot and Church
At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sudley Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battling for the Rocky Knoll (about 300 feet away); “The Unfinished Railroad” (about 400 feet away); A Debt Repaid (about 400 feet away); Sudley Springs (about 600 feet away); Thornberry House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sudley Springs Ford (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Sudley Springs Ford (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gregg’s Brigade (approx. half a mile away); Second Brigade (approx. half a mile away).
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Sudley Springs Markers related to First Manassas
 
Also see . . .  History of Sudley – Church in a Horseshoe Curve. (Submitted on February 27, 2007.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
Sudley Methodist Church and Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 10, 2006
3. Sudley Methodist Church and Cemetery
Sudley Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 4, 2015
4. Sudley Methodist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,908 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 27, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   4. submitted on September 11, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement