Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Owens Crossroads in Barnwell County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Winton County Court House Site

1.4 Miles Ľ—→

 
 
Winton County Court House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
1. Winton County Court House Site Marker
Inscription. Originally Barnwell County was part of Granville County, later a part of Orangeburg District. Winton County was created by an act of the legislature on March 12, 1785. Justices William Robertson, John Parkinson, Thomas Knight, Richard Treadway, Daniel Green, William Buford, and James Fair were directed to erect a court house, gaol, pillory, whipping post, and stocks. These were built of pine logs. Winton County became Barnwell District in 1798 and Barnwell County in 1868.
 
Erected by Gen. John Barnwell Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. (Marker Number 6-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 33° 9.867′ N, 81° 23.43′ W. Marker is in Owens Crossroads, South Carolina, in Barnwell County. Marker is on SC 3, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. About 5 miles south of Barnwell on SC 3. Marker is in this post office area: Barnwell SC 29812, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church (approx. 3 miles away); Boiling Springs Academy (approx. 3.1 miles away); Tarlton Brown (1757 - 1845)
Winton County Court House Site Marker looking southward on SC-3 image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
2. Winton County Court House Site Marker looking southward on SC-3
(approx. 3.3 miles away); Morris Ford Earthworks (approx. 3.8 miles away); Lower Three Runs Baptist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Town of Ellenton (approx. 5.6 miles away); Ellenton Agricultural Club (approx. 5.7 miles away); Bank Of Barnwell / Edgar A. Brown Law Office (approx. 5.7 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Marker located amoung a small roadside Military Cemetery Mostly Revolutionary War and War of 1812 graves.Nothing to Identify this perhaps forgotten Cemetery amoung the trees
 
Categories. Colonial EraGovernmentNotable Places
 
Winton County Court House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
3. Winton County Court House Site Marker
Marker located near small Military Cemetery; a partial view of the headstones image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
4. Marker located near small Military Cemetery; a partial view of the headstones
One of several Revolutionary War Headstones image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
5. One of several Revolutionary War Headstones
William Robinson, Qm. Sgt., 1st SC Regiment. Revolutionary War. 1728-1800.
Headstone from War of 1812 image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
6. Headstone from War of 1812
John Henry Hair, South Carolina, Private, 2nd Regiment SC Militia. War of 1812. 1788–1854.
Headstone of the only Civil War Veteran image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 4, 2008
7. Headstone of the only Civil War Veteran
John Hair, Company D, Butlerís Regiment, SC Infantry, C.S.A. 1794–1868.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,691 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 3, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement