Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Decatur in Dekalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Garrard’s Cavalry Raid

 
 
Garrard's Cavalry Raid Marker image. Click for full size.
By Felch Dumas, June 30, 2008
1. Garrard's Cavalry Raid Marker
Inscription. On July 20, 1864, Union forces under Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, were closing in on Atlanta. Hq. 2nd Cavlary Division (US), Brg. Gen Kenner Garrard, was in Decatur. His three brigades were scattered from Decatur to Roswell, guarding bridges over the Chattahoochee River and picketing the left flank. That night, Garrard was ordered to assemble his command and march to Covington (30 miles SE), to burn bridges over the Yellow and Ulcofauhachee (Alcovy) rivers and to destroy the railroad between Lithonia and the Alcovy.

Garrard marched late on the 21st. He returned to Decatur on the 24th, after marching almost 90 miles. He destroyed 4 wagon bridges, 2 railroad bridges and more than 6 miles of track. At Covington, he burned the depot, a newly built army hospital center, 2000 bales of cotton, and large quantities of quartermaster and commissionary supplies. Three trains were captured and burned.

Garrard's raid cut off all communication between Atlanta and Augusta and destroyed any hope that the Army of Tennessee (CS) - the hard pressed defenders of Atlanta - might receive supplies or reinforcements from Eastern Confederacy; but this success was not without its price. Because of Garrard's absence from the Union left, Hardee's Corps (CS) was able to approach undetected and launch his smashing blow at that unguarded flank which
Garrard's Cavalry Raid Marker image. Click for full size.
By Felch Dumas, June 30, 2008
2. Garrard's Cavalry Raid Marker
The marker is in the distance, behind the Stoneman's Raid Marker.
has passed into history as the Battle of Atlanta.
 
Erected 1967 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 044-82.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 46.496′ N, 84° 17.763′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Georgia, in Dekalb County. Marker can be reached from Ponce de Leon Avenue 0.1 miles south of Clairemont Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker is located on grounds of the Old Courthouse in Decatur. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur GA 30030, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Stoneman Raid (here, next to this marker); Battle of Decatur (within shouting distance of this marker); Houston Mill Millstone (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheeler’s Cav. at Decatur (within shouting distance of this marker); DeKalb County (within shouting distance of this marker); Steatite Boulder (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Beacon Community (approx. 0.3 miles away); July 22, 1864 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,077 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement