Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baton Rouge in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort San Carlos

 
 
Fort San Carlos Marker image. Click for full size.
August 14, 2015
1. Fort San Carlos Marker
Inscription. Boom, boom, boom! Cannon fired all day across these grounds on September 21st, 1779, until the British flag finally came down. The Spanish victor's troops included African-Americans, Native-Americans, and French-Acadian refugees, in this, the westernmost battle of the American Revolution. The plan above is of the actual fort that occupied the site. (Marker Number 2.)
 
Location. 30° 27.281′ N, 91° 11.371′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North 3rd Street and Spanish Town Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 N 3rd St, Baton Rouge LA 70802, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort San Carlos (a few steps from this marker); The Mississippi River (within shouting distance of this marker); Pentagon Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Pentagon Buildings (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Zachary Taylor (about 400 feet away); Zachary Taylor Home Site (about 400 feet away); Ole War Skule (about 500 feet away); Battle Of Baton Rouge, 1862 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baton Rouge.
 
More about this marker.
Fort San Carlos Marker image. Click for full size.
August 14, 2015
2. Fort San Carlos Marker
Marker is number 2 of 10 of a series of walking tour markers on the Louisiana State Capitol grounds.
 
Regarding Fort San Carlos. (1779 - 1794, 1810), Baton Rouge
The French built the first fort here to subdue the local Indians (name and date?), but the British took control in 1764 and built Fort Richmond (1764 - 1768). Patriot forces took the rebuilt fort in 1778 (Fort New Richmond), but were captured by the British. The fort had an 18-foot wide and nine-foot deep moat, with 13 guns. It was located near present-day Boyd Ave. (Spanish Town Road) and Lafayette Street. The Spanish took the town and fort in 1779, rebuilt it as a new six-pointed star-shaped 16-gun fort, and by 1781 controlled all of West Florida. The English and American settlers rebelled in 1810 and proclaimed the "West Florida Republic" (or "Baton Rouge Republic"). The US took possession one month later. Compiled by Pete Payette - 2003 American Forts Network
 
Also see . . .  Fort New Richmond. Wikipedia (Submitted on August 23, 2015.) 
 
Categories. African AmericansForts, CastlesNative AmericansWar, US Revolutionary
 
Fort San Carlos Marker image. Click for full size.
August 14, 2015
3. Fort San Carlos Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2015. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 22, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement