Medora in Billings County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Before you lies a scene not greatly changed since Theodore Roosevelt’s time here in the 1880s. Gone are the ambitious De Mores Packing Plant, the military cantonment and the early village of Little Missouri. But still present are the colorful buttes, the silvery thread of the Little Missouri, the shining rails of the former Northern Pacific, the Chateau de Mores and the old cowtown of Medora. Additions to the scene include TR’s Maltese Cross Ranch cabin relocated from its original site seven miles to the south, Theodore Roosevelt National Park’s visitor center, plus other recent facilities.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 46° 55.161′ N, 103° 31.576′ W. Marker is in Medora, North Dakota, in Billings County. Marker is on East River Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in the South Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Marker is in this post office area: Medora ND 58645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In honor of a President . . . and His Conservation Legacy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stephen Tyng Mather (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dreams of a Cattle Empire (approx. Loading Dock (approx. ¼ mile away); De Mores Packing Plant (approx. ¼ mile away); Joe Ferris General Store (approx. 0.3 miles away); Great Western Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Medora Livery Stable (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medora.
More about this marker. The top of the marker features a panoramic photograph showing the view from the marker. Elsewhere on the markers are photos of area sites, including: De Mores Packing Plant, St. Mary’s Church, Von Hoffman House/Doll House, Little Missouri – 1880, Chateau de Mores, and Medora – 1885.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 246 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 22, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.