White Sulphur Springs in Meagher County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
The discovery of gold, silver, lead and copper in this area brought about the establishment of Camp Baker in 1869 to protect settlers from Indian raids.
Named Fort Logan in 1877, the post was abandoned in 1880. The block house which remains standing was given to the Meagher County Historical Society by Mrs. Sidney Berg.
-20 miles west-
Location. 46° 32.806′ N, 110° 54.379′ W. Marker is in White Sulphur Springs, Montana, in Meagher County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 89 and Chilton Street, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 89. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: White Sulphur Springs MT 59645, United States of America.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Logan, Blockhouse, White Sulphur Springs, Meagher County, MT. The Historic American Buildings Survey record for the Fort Logan Blockhouse. (Submitted on August 22, 2015.)
2. Fort Logan (1869-1880).
Established as Camp Baker 30 Nov 1869 and named for Maj. Eugene M. Baker 2nd U.S. Cavalry. Designated Fort Logan 30 Dec 1878 and named after Capt. William Logan, 7th U.S. Infantry, who was killed in the Battle of Big Hole 9 Aug 1877. (Submitted on August 22, 2015, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2015, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 433 times since then and 63 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2015, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 22, 2015, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3. submitted on August 22, 2015. 4. submitted on August 22, 2015, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.