Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milton in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Turbot Hills Golf Club

 
 
The Turbot Hills Golf Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, August 22, 2015
1. The Turbot Hills Golf Club Marker
Inscription. The Otzinachson Country Club, built in the 1920's, was a 9-hole course for many years. The unusual name "Otzinachson" was derived from the Indian name given to the Susquehanna River, meaning "the river of caves."

Over the years, the club grew in membership and was modernized in 1948 when a clubhouse was renovated at a cost of over $75,000. It was destroyed by fire shortly before its grand re-opening. The clubhouse was quickly rebuilt, however, with a virtually fireproofed structure.

Known to its members as the "Otz-natch," the country club's membership continued to grow. In 1953, the golf course expanded to a legitimate 6,187 yare, 28-hole course, following a $50,000 fundraising campaign termed "Operation big spread."

Nearly ten years later, in 1962, the club name was changed to the "Wynding Brook Country Club." Art Zadina was again the number one golfer in the men's division that year. Mrs. Foster Wilson was the woman's division champ. A young, baby-faced golfer, son of one of the pioneers of the Country Club, emerged to take the first of two back-to-back Wynding Brook golf titles in 1963. He was sixteen year old Joe "Jody" Rynyan, III.

Left Photos
Above - 16 year old MHS student Joe "Jody" Runyan, III on the final green defeating school district superintendent Dr. Wayne Vonarx for the 1964 club championship

The Turbot Hills Golf Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, August 22, 2015
2. The Turbot Hills Golf Club Marker
at Wynding Brook. runyan also won the previous year's 1963 club championship as a sophomore.

Right Photos
Above - six-time club champion Art Zadina, left, took the 1961 club championship form former pro golfer Al Boudman, right. Center in the photo is Norman Ackley.
Below - an outdoor swimming pool was built for club members in 1956.
 
Erected by Parks and Recreation.
 
Location. 41° 1.228′ N, 76° 51.345′ W. Marker is in Milton, Pennsylvania, in Northumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Front Street and Broadway Street on N. Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milton PA 17847, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Adult Baseball, Softball, and Basketball Programs (here, next to this marker); "Remembrance of Things Past" (here, next to this marker); The Milton Fair (here, next to this marker); Milton's Early Park and Recreation Programs (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Lincoln Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Riverside Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Rotary Centennial Park (approx. mile away); a different marker also named Rotary Centennial Park (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
 
Categories. Sports

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 24, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement