Welcome to Lincoln Park
The History of Lincoln Park
Andrew Straub, who founded Milton in 1792, donated the southern half of the Lincoln Park property to the community. However, it was not truly developed until 1909 under the leadership of the Milton Woman's Club. Mrs. Arthur Slocum, Straub's great-granddaughter, chaired the project to create the park.
Lincoln Park was doubled in size in 1952 following the demolition of a mansion once located on the northern half of the park site. The mansion was where Gov. James Pollock resided at the time he created our nation's motto "In God We Trust" in 1864.
Betty Hill, a civic-minded citizen of Milton, devoted a great deal of time and financial resources to the ongoing development of Lincoln Park. It was through her vision that the current improvements, including the new Gazebo, were created. The Gazebo was constructed in 2005/2006 by T.I.M.E. - The Improved Milton Experience
Location. 41° 1.216′ N, 76° 51.335′ W. Marker is in Milton, Pennsylvania, in Northumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Front Street and Broadway Street on N. Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milton PA 17847, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milton's Early Park and Recreation Programs (a few steps from this marker); Riverside Park (a few steps from this marker); Adult Baseball, Softball, and Basketball Programs (within shouting distance of this marker); The Turbot Hills Golf Club (within shouting distance of this marker); "Remembrance of Things Past" (within shouting distance of this marker); The Milton Fair (within shouting distance of this marker); Rotary Centennial Park (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Rotary Centennial Park (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 4. submitted on August 24, 2015.