New Windsor in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“The Publick Building Called the Temple”
On March 15, 1783, in an emotional address to his officers not to rebel against the civil authority of the Congress over pay issues. Major Samuel Shaw wrote that Washington “took out his spectacles, and begged the indulgence of his audience while he put them on, observing at the same time, that he had grown gray in their service, and now found himself growing blind.” It was a subtle yet powerful way of reminding his loyal officers that even he had sacrificed much in the service of his country. On April 19, the “Cessation of Hostilities” was announced here formally ending combat.
to Day We Meet at the temple Whare there is a temples pulpit Maid and a Gallery for the Musick – it is a Bulding Which is Converted to Many Uses Which Makes Me think of Sinagoge of Old that We Read of.
Private Thomas Foster, 7th Massachusetts Regiment.
handsomely finished, with a spacious hall…the
General William Heath, describing the Temple Building.
Erected by State of New York.
Location. 41° 28.354′ N, 74° 3.569′ W. Marker is in New Windsor, New York, in Orange County. Marker can be reached from Temple Hill Road (New York State Route 300), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located at the New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: New Windsor NY 12553, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Temple (a few steps from this marker); The People of the New Windsor Cantonment (within shouting distance of this marker); Unknown Soldier (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary Hut (within shouting distance of this marker); New Windsor Cantonment (within shouting distance of this marker); The Land (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Temple Hill (about 300 feet away); Purple Heart Memorial (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Windsor.
More about this marker.
The top of the marker contains a drawing of the Temple of Virtue. It has a caption of “Private William Tarbell of the 7th Massachusetts Regiment drew the only known view of the ‘Temple of Virtue’ and the cantonment’s other buildings in 1783. On September 2, 1783, the cantonment’s empty buildings were sold at auction. James Latta purchased the Temple Building for fifteen pounds, eight shillings.
Also on the marker is a picture of Brigade Chaplain Israel Evans.
Also see . . . New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site. New York State. (Submitted on July 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Military • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 952 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.