Banner in Sheridan County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The Cavalryman’s Quarters:
Few and Far Between
It is a false perception that the frontier posts of the American West were garrisoned with large troops of cavalry. Actually a post’s usual population was largely infantry with a few cavalry for support, reconnaissance, escort, or mail delivery. Fort Phil Kearny was no exception. It was not until November 2, 1866 that any cavalry were stationed at the post. Though initially placed in a variety of quarters, they were finally housed in a large, new 100 by 25 foot log-panel constructed barracks with a shingle roof. Nearby was a 250 by 32 foot board and batten stable with corral, saddler’s shop, and a blacksmith.
Company C, of the 2nd U.S. Cavalry Regiment was assigned to Fort Phil Kearny. They arrived, armed with single-shot Starr Carbines on poorly conditioned mounts. Colonel Carrington replaced their weapons with the band’s Spencer Carbines, but little could be done for the mounts. Few cavalry were ever at the fort. They were constantly being requisitioned for mail, escort, or other duties by military inspectors traveling the trail. Unfortunately, of those troops available on December 21, 1866, the majority were killed in the Fetterman Fight, leaving their quarters sorrowfully near empty.
Location. 44° 31.904′ N, 106° 49.539′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. Marker is located inside Fort Phil Kearny. Marker is in this post office area: Banner WY 82832, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Magazine: (within shouting distance of this marker); The Civilians: (within shouting distance of this marker); The Guard House: (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Commander’s Quarters: (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hospital (about 300 feet away); Lesson Learned (about 300 feet away); Site of Fort Phil Kearny (about 300 feet away); Laundress Row: (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Banner.
More about this marker. The left side of the marker contains a photograph depicting Cavalry Companies during the Civil War. Below this is Col. Carrington’s plans for the Cavalry Barracks. The right side of the marker features a photograph of a Cavalry trooper, and a map showing the location of the Cavalry Barracks in the fort.
Also see . . . Fort Phil Kearny State Historic Site. (Submitted on August 25, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 24, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.