West Branch in Cedar County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Mackey House
David Mackey, a local carpenter, built this house between 1868 and 1871. He lived in this home until 1876. Mackey also ran a butcher shop and served as mayor of West Branch in 1879 and postmaster in 1885.
Built several years before his birth, this would have been a familiar landmark to young Herbert Hoover. Adaptive restoration of the Mackey House was completed in 1985.
Location. 41° 40.252′ N, 91° 20.85′ W. Marker is in West Branch, Iowa, in Cedar County. Marker is on Poplar Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Herbert Hoover National Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: West Branch IA 52358, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Visit Downtown West Branch (a few steps from this marker); Herbert Hoover National Historic Site (a few steps from this marker); Schoolhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Amanda Garvin Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); A World of Opportunity (within shouting distance of this marker); The C.E. Smith House (within shouting The Laban Miles House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Dr. Leech House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Branch.
Also see . . . Herbert Hoover National Historic Site. (Submitted on August 26, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.