Medora in Billings County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Chimney Park, De Mores State Historic Site
A spur track connected the slaughterhouse with the main line of the Northern Pacific Railroad. Ice from the icehouses to your right were used to cool the refrigerator cars when the meat was loaded into them.
The Marquis owned cold storage facilities along the Northern Pacific rail line in Miles City, Montana Territory; Bismarck and Fargo, Dakota Territory; Brainerd and Duluth, Minnesota. These facilities were used to re-ice the cars in transit, to store the dressed meat, and to serve as local wholesale outlets.
The slaughterhouse closed in November of 1886, never to reopen. Reasons the business failed were the lower quality of range-fed beef, consumer preference for corn-fed beef, fierce competition from Philip Armour and Gustavas Swift, and personal troubles that included a murder charge against the Marquis. The plant was used for storage until it was destroyed by fire March 17, 1907.
Location. 46° 54.949′ N, 103° 31.647′ W. Marker is in Medora, North Dakota, in Billings County. Marker is on Pacific Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medora ND 58645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dreams of a Cattle Empire (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct Great Western Trail (about 400 feet away); In honor of a President . . . and His Conservation Legacy (about 400 feet away); De Mores Packing Plant (about 400 feet away); Stephen Tyng Mather (about 500 feet away); Joe Ferris General Store (about 500 feet away); Cowboys (about 500 feet away); Ralph “Doc” Hubbard (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medora.
More about this marker. A photograph at the upper left of the marker has a caption of “Workers load a Northern Pacific Railroad Refrigerator Car Co. car at the slaughterhouse loading dock. You are standing close to where this photo was taken.” The right side of the marker contains a picture of an “Oblique view of the 1885 slaughterhouse.” and a photograph depicting a “View of the slaughterhouse from the southeast.”
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 27, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.