Guild in Marion County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Hales Bar Dam
Hales Bar Dam was a hydroelectric dam once located on the Tennessee River in Marion County, Tennessee, USA. The Chattanooga and Tennessee River Power Company began building the dam in 1905 and completed it in 1913, making Hales Bar one of the first major multipurpose dams and one of the first major dams to be built across a navigable channel in the United States. In 1939, Tennessee Valley Authority assumed control of the plagued Hales Bar after purchasing TEPCO's assets. TVA spent two decades trying to fix a leakage problem that had plagued Hale's Bar since its construction, but after continued leakage, and after it was determined that expanding the dam's navigation lock would be too expensive, TVA decided to replace the dam by building Nickajack Dam 6 miles (9.7 km) downstream in 1968.
Building the Hale's Powerhouse Extension. Top photo facing south-downstream.
Lower photo by Supt. H.D. Towers shows air view by pilot James Mitchell. Working in the Coffer kDam, on kunits 15 & 16 in Power House Extension.
May 16, 1951 To obtain more electricity from Hales Bar TVA extendpower house, adding two units. The area to house the extra shown unwatered at left; the completed extension is at right.
Location. 35° 2.783′ N, 85° 32.256′ Touch for map. Marker is located near the Hales Bar Dam. Marker is in this post office area: Guild TN 37340, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nickajack Cave (approx. 1.9 miles away); Federal-Georgia Road (approx. 2.3 miles away); Running Water Creek Bridge (approx. 3.4 miles away); Love's Ferry (approx. 4.9 miles away); Betsy Pack (approx. 5.3 miles away); The Will Cummings Highway (approx. 5.4 miles away); The TVA System of Multipurpose Dams (approx. 5.7 miles away); Raccoon Mountain (approx. 7.6 miles away).
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 30, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. 6. submitted on September 1, 2015. 7. submitted on August 30, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.