Manassas High School / The Cora P. Taylor Auditorium
Manassas High School
Manassas High School was established by Spencer Johnson and others in 1899 on the west side of Manassas Street. Originally a two-room framed structure in 1900, more rooms were added between 1902 and 1904. In 1918, a 16-room stucco building was erected. Additional improvements were made between 1920 and 1980. In 1924 Manassas High School, known as one of the largest Rosenwald schools and the first four-year accredited public school for Blacks in the county school system, graduated its first senior high school class.
The Cora P. Taylor Auditorium
The Cora P. Taylor Auditorium was erected in 1927. It was named in honor of Mrs. Cora Price Taylor (1885-1932), who served as the first high school principal of Manassas from 1909-1929. She personally hauled bricks by truck from Millington to help build the auditorium that hosted school assemblies, public affairs and community events. In 1976, this historic auditorium was demolished to make room for improvements to Manassas High School
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4E 146.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools, and the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 35° 10.244′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Isaac Hayes (a few steps from this marker); North Memphis Driving Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Memphis 13/Gordon Elementary School (approx. 0.8 miles away); Winchester Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fort Adams/Fort Pike (approx. 1.3 miles away); First Memphis Waterfront (approx. 1½ miles away); Lauderdale Courts / Presley Family at Lauderdale Courts (approx. 1½ miles away); First Tavern (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Also see . . . The Hiistory of Manassas. (Submitted on August 31, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee.)
1. Rosenwald Schools
Manassas was one of the Rosenwald Schools funded by Julius Rosenwald, the co-owner and president of Sears Roebuck and Company.
"The Rosenwald School Program
Who was Julius Rosenwald and what is being done to preserve the historic Rosenwald Schools?
In 1917, Julius Rosenwald established
One of Rosenwald’s legacies is his philosophy of philanthropy. He believed that philanthropic funds should be used to provide the greatest benefit to mankind, rather than glorify the benefactor.
The Rosenwald rural school building program was a major effort to improve the quality of public education for African Americans in the early twentieth-century South. His charity committed large sums of money for the construction of schools, affectionately known as "Rosenwald Schools," in poor, rural and primarily African American school districts in 15 Southern states. These schools were cooperatively built with assistance from the local African American communities. Donations of land and labor by the local community were matched by financial contributions from the Rosenwald Fund. At the program's conclusion in 1932, it had produced 4,977 new schools, 217 teachers' homes, and 163 shop buildings, constructed at a total cost of $28,408,520 to serve 663,615 students in 883 counties of 15 states."
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.