Haverhill in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Haverhill Corner Historic District
National Register of Historic Places, 1987
Town of Haverhill granted, 1763
"The Corner" was part of a mile-wide strip of land claimed by both Haverhill and Piermont, and finally divided between them. Haverhill Corner's architecture reflects its history as Grafton County seat (1793–1891), home of Haverhill Academy (founded 1794), and northern end of the first Province Road from the coast (later the Coos Turnpike, now Court Street). Col. Charles Johnston settled here in 1769 and promoted village growth. His house and Gov. John Page's still stand, with other notable dwellings, taverns, church, library, and school buildings.
Erected 1990 by New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. (Marker Number 160.)
Location. 44° 2.061′ N, 72° 3.808′ W. Marker is in Haverhill, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is at the intersection of Dartmouth College Highway (New Hampshire Route 10 at milepost 113.6) and Court Street, on the right when traveling north on Dartmouth College Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Haverhill NH 03765, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Bedell Bridge (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bradford (approx. 3.1 miles away in Vermont); General Jacob Bayley (approx. 3.1 miles away in Vermont); Jacob Bayley (approx. 3.1 miles away in Vermont); Elmbank (approx. 3.3 miles away in Vermont); Col. Thomas Johnson (approx. 3.8 miles away in Vermont); Hooker Family House (approx. 3.8 miles away in Vermont); Old Court House (approx. 3.8 miles away in Vermont).
Also see . . . Living Places - Haverhill Corner Historic District. (Submitted on September 1, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 179 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.