Waterbury in Washington County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Vermont State Hospital
The first patients arrived at the new Vermont State Asylum for the insane in 1891. For the next 120 years, the hospital served thousands of Vermonters challenged by mental and other illnesses, and employed hundreds of area residents. Designed by Rand and Taylor of Boston, the Hospital was linear in form with a central administrative building, connected pavilions and a pair of unusual circular wards at either end.
Over the years, the Vermont State Hospital complex expanded until the 1960's when advances in the treatment of mental illness caused the patient population to decline. By 1978, state government offices began to occupy vacated space in the complex and in the wake of floods in 2011, the hospital left Waterbury. Today, the original 1890's structure continues to provide office space for Vermont state government.
Erected 2014 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 44° 19.983′ N, 72° 45.104′ W. Marker is in Waterbury, Vermont, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (U.S. 2) and Inner Loop Road, on the right when traveling east on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waterbury VT 05676, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Dr. Henry Janes (approx. 0.6 miles away); Smugglers Notch (approx. 7.4 miles away); Montpelier Recreation Field (approx. 9.6 miles away); Ethan Allen (approx. 9.8 miles away); State House (approx. 9.8 miles away); Ammi B. Young (approx. 9.8 miles away); Senator William Upham (approx. 10.1 miles away); Norwich University (approx. 14.3 miles away).
Additional keywords. Tropical Storm Irene
Categories. • Disasters • Notable Buildings • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 1, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.