Medora in Billings County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The need for educating local children was first publicly expressed in 1884 when St. Mary’s Catholic Church Pastor Rev. Martin Schmitt, O.S.B., appealed to Medora residents to establish a school.
Classes were begun in a cantonment building west of the Little Missouri River in July 1884 with Dan Williams instructing. The first classes in Medora opened on December 15, 1884, in St. Mary’s Catholic Church, with a Miss Finger as teacher. Madame de Vallombrosa, wife of the Marquis de Mores, paid the salary of the teacher.
A more permanent school began in the Medora Hall in 1885. The de Mores School building was completed in 1916, housing grades 1-12. The last high school graduating class was 1961. That building was replaced with the present school, which was completed in 1986.
The first eighth grade diploma was awarded in 1902. The Billings County Superintendent of Schools oversaw as many as 18 school districts from 1902 until 1966 when the unified Billings County School District was formed.
At one time, there were as many as 50 one-room schools providing education to the youth of Billings County. Teachers taught grades 1-8 in the country schools.
(Marker Number 18.)
Location. 46° 54.82′ N, 103° 31.457′ W. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medora ND 58645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Margaret Roberts (here, next to this marker); Medora Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Roberts Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The President Returns (within shouting distance of this marker); Hunting and Trapping (within shouting distance of this marker); Medora Depot & Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Custer Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Stockmens State Bank (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medora.
More about this marker. The background of the marker contains a photograph of the De Mores School. Two pictures depicting the early days of Medora education appear on the top of the marker.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.