Medora in Billings County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Joe Ferris General Store
Joe Ferris wore many hats in Medora. He was a hunting guide, a Medora postmaster and a successful merchant.
Ferris opened his first general store in Little Missouri. In 1885 he began work in Medora on the current two-story, 25-foot by 75-foot structure. Ferris also operated a feed stable behind the store.
Theodore Roosevelt rented one of the upstairs rooms to use on his trips to town. Legend has it that Roosevelt could be heard pacing at night as he worked on books and magazine articles.
After 1887 Medora declined. The Ferris Store remained and was soon nearly the only business operating in town. In addition, Ferris served as the town postmaster in 1887 and from 1893 to 1908. Ferris sold his store in 1909 and moved to Montana. The store closed in 1925; over the years the building was used as a pool hall, warehouse and living quarters.
(Marker Number 10.)
Location. 46° 54.899′ N, 103° 31.552′ W. Marker is in Medora, North Dakota, in Billings County. Marker is on Main Street north of 3rd Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medora ND 58645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cowboys (within shouting distance of this marker); Ralph “Doc” Hubbard The Bad Lands Cow Boy (within shouting distance of this marker); Medora Livery Stable (within shouting distance of this marker); Tribute to the Civilian Conservation Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); Medora Business District (within shouting distance of this marker); De Mores (within shouting distance of this marker); Great Western Trail (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medora.
More about this marker. A photograph at the top of the marker depicts “The early Joe Ferris General Store: a shopper’s paradise for home and business.” Another photo shows “Joe and Lilly Ferris with their children and family dog, circa 1900.” Also present on the marker is an advertisement for the Ferris General Store from The Little Missourian, March 11, 1902.”
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 2, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.