Moran in Teton County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Cattle King of Wyoming
Grand Teton National Park
Ranchers cultivated the fields surrounding you for cattle and horse grazing. The Elk Ranch, once located here, was the largest cattle ranch in Jackson Hole.
In 1914 cattle rancher Josiah Davis Ferrin, nicknamed “Uncle Si,” secured a lucrative contract to supply beef to Reclamation Service crews building the Jackson Lake Dam. By 1920, Ferrin had up to 2,000 cattle – an empire earning him the nickname “Cattle King of Wyoming.”
After struggling during an agricultural depression in the 1920s, Ferrin sold his ranch to John D. Rockefeller, Jr.ís Snake River Land Company. The Land Company later donated 35,000 acres of land to expand Grand Teton National Park in 1949.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 43° 48.635′ N, 110° 31.634′ W. Marker is in Moran, Wyoming, in Teton County. Marker is on U.S. 26, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in Grand Teton National Park, in the Elk Ranch Flats Turnout. Marker is in this post office area: Moran WY 83013, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. From Rancher to Conservationist (approx. 2.7 miles away); Cattleman's Bridge Valley View (approx. 3.4 miles away); 11,000 Summers in the Tetons (approx. 4 miles away); The Teton Range (approx. 4.9 miles away); Young, Restless, and Still Rising (approx. 4.9 miles away); Potholes (approx. 5.1 miles away); Jackson Lake Lodge (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moran.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photograph of “A wrangler driving cattle at the Elk Ranch.”
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 140 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 2, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.