Jackson Hole in Teton County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Life in a Frontier Town
John and Maggie Simpson donated land
on which to build a
place for residents of the valley.
“ . . . we all one-stepped, two-stepped, fox-trotted and waltzed and polkaed together in the old Clubhouse ----- a two-story log and frame building on the east side of the Square. The dance hall was upstairs over the drugstore. One evening during a dance Olaus and I went downstairs for a soda. The thunder, the shaking and vibration from the dancing feet above was terrifying. But the building stood, and has stood, all the years.”
Location. 43° 28.803′ N, 110° 45.732′ W. Marker is in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, in Teton County. Marker is on N Cache Street (U.S. 26), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Jackson Town Square. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson WY 83001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Square as it appeared in 1936 (here, The Jackson Town Square (a few steps from this marker); John Colter (a few steps from this marker); The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar (within shouting distance of this marker); Teton County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Gathering (within shouting distance of this marker); The Jackson State Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); In The Early Days (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson Hole.
More about this marker. Four photographs appear on the marker. These have captions as follows: “Still distinguishable by its four-sided hip roof, the Clubhouse continues to stand on the east side of the Town Square.”; “The Clubhouse was under construction when Jackson observed the Fourth of July, 1898.”; “Jackson Drug Company was originally located in the old Clubhouse building, 1912.” and “The Jackson Mercantile began business in the Clubhouse building.”
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.