Yellowstone National Park in Park County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Why is there no ﬁshing from Fishing Bridge?
In 1902, the first bridge was built across the outlet of Yellowstone Lake. By 1914, its official name was “Fishing Bridge.” Today’s bridge with walkways was built in 1937. Fishing Bridge had become a popular fishing spot for park visitors. Built over a gravelly river bed, however, the bridge spans an ideal cutthroat trout spawning area. Fishing from the bridge removed the very trout that could produce new generations, which are needed to sustain the world’s largest remaining native cutthroat population. Since fishing from the bridge stopped in 1973, pelicans, osprey, otters, eagles and kingfishers have returned, and can often be seen feeding on the fish.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 44° 34.006′ N, 110° 22.935′ W. Marker is in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, in Park County. Marker is on E Entrance Road (U.S. 20), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located along the railing on the north side of the Fishing Bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Yellowstone National Park WY 82190, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cutthroat (within shouting distance of this marker); Off the Hook (within Wilderness Architecture (approx. 0.3 miles away); Leaping the Rapids (approx. 2.8 miles away); Black Dragon’s Caldron (approx. 4˝ miles away); Churning Caldron (approx. 4.6 miles away); Mud Geyser (approx. 4.6 miles away); Cooking Hillside (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yellowstone National Park.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 3, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.