Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Bedford in Bedford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Pennsylvania Turnpike

 
 
Pennsylvania Turnpike Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, July 3, 2008
1. Pennsylvania Turnpike Marker
Inscription. This is one of the original service plazas for the nation's first long-distance superhighway. On October 1, 1940, the Turnpike opened, stretching 160 miles from Irwin to Carlisle. The Turnpike Commission had been created in 1937; construction utilized the old South Pennsylvania Railroad's right-of-way and tunnels. By 1957 the Turnpike spanned 360 miles across the state and extended 110 miles north to Scranton.
 
Erected 1990 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania Railroad marker series.
 
Location. 40° 1.838′ N, 78° 29.532′ W. Marker is near Bedford, Pennsylvania, in Bedford County. Marker can be reached from Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 76), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the westbound rest area. Marker is in this post office area: Bedford PA 15522, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lincoln Highway Meets the Superhighway (was about 300 feet away, measured in
Pennsylvania Turnpike marker location image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, July 3, 2008
2. Pennsylvania Turnpike marker location
In front of the westbound Bedford rest area, on the Pennsylvania Turnpike
a direct line but has been reported permanently removed. ); a different marker also named Pennsylvania Turnpike (about 300 feet away); Original Turnpike Road Construction (about 400 feet away); Bedford Village (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Bedford Village (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fraser Tavern (approx. 0.9 miles away); Anderson House (approx. one mile away); Grist Millstone (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bedford.
 
More about this marker. This marker is identical to one across the interstate, in front of the eastbound rest area.
 
Regarding Pennsylvania Turnpike. The original rest areas were built to mimic the architecture of the region they were built in. This building appears to pay some homage to the 18th and early 19th century structures that can be found occasionally in the surrounding area.
 
Also see . . .
1. Historic marker for the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Smithsonian Institution (Submitted on December 24, 2008.) 

2. The Pennsylvania Turnpike. (Submitted on November 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. 20th CenturyRoads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,320 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 4, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement