Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Jeﬀerson Davis Park
When Riverside Drive was constructed in the mid-1930's, this park was built on what had been an old dumping ground for construction debris and dredge soil. It was enlarged to its present size in 1937, using material dredged from the river.
The park is named after Jefferson Davis, the President of the Confederacy, who lived in Memphis from 1869 to 1878 and who was president of an insurance company here. He lived at two houses on Court Avenue between Third and Fourth Streets, both of which were demolished in the mid 1930's.
The park was improved in 1983, using City and County funds, as the first phase of a Riverfront Promenade. Improvements included connections to the parking areas north of the park and to the cobblestones to the south, the installation of the concrete walks, and new lighting, landscaping, signage, and furnishings.
Location. 35° 8.834′ N, 90° 3.328′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Riverside Drive and Court Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Memphis TN 38103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mud Island (a few steps from this marker); Cobblestone Landing Confederate Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Naval Battle of Memphis, 1862 (about 400 feet away); Confederate History of Memphis (about 400 feet away); Memphis and Shelby County Medical Society (about 400 feet away); Elizabeth Avery Meriwether (about 400 feet away); Jefferson Davis Memorial (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Categories. • Politics • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.