Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Franklinton Cemetery

 
 
Old Franklinton Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, September 4, 2015
1. Old Franklinton Cemetery Marker
close up, showing text
Inscription. This ancient burial ground of Central Ohio was established in a bend of the Scioto River in 1799 and is known as "Old Franklinton Cemetery". The pioneers buried here are about one hundred in number. Seventy-one graves are marked largely by sandstone slabs, many having elaborately carved drawings and quaint inscriptions.

Here also is buried at least one soldier of the American Revolution, Reverend Seth Noble, first minister of the frontier town. In 1811 the first church in the community, Presbyterian, was erected by Lucas Sullivant, the founder of Franklinton, upon the present burial grounds. Sullivant himself was buried here in 1824, but his remains were moved to Green Lawn Cemetery years later. In 1931 the West Side Board of Trade erected a granite obelisk monument in the center of the cemetery, twenty-six feet in height. The memorial contains two commemorative tablets, one of which reads "In this Churchyard Stood the First Church of the Community. Built and Presented to the Congregation by Lucas Sullivant in 1811."

"The strange, unknown people who built the ancient mounds and works near here knew the attractions and worth of this favored Scioto Valley."
Sponsored by WBNS-TV
Erected May 3, 1962 - Columbus Sesquicentennial Year by the Franklin County Historical Society
Replaced by the Franklin
Old Franklinton Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, September 4, 2015
2. Old Franklinton Cemetery Marker
full view of marker
County Historical Society 2005 • Sponsored by GFS Chemicals, Inc., Est. 1928

 
Erected 2005 by Franklin County Historical Society.
 
Location. 39° 57.744′ N, 83° 1.342′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of North Davis Avenue and River Street, on the right when traveling south on North Davis Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 132 N Davis Ave, Columbus OH 43222, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “In This Churchyard…” (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Franklinton Cemetery Archaeology (within shouting distance of this marker); Lucas Sullivant Home Site (approx. ¼ mile away); Franklinton (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Franklinton (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Franklinton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Council Site Between William Henry Harrison and Indians (approx. 0.4 miles away); Maurice Gates (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
Old Franklinton Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, September 4, 2015
3. Old Franklinton Cemetery Marker
marker can be seen at a distance
Old Franklinton Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, September 4, 2015
4. Old Franklinton Cemetery Marker
the south gate, on River Street
Old Franklinton Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, September 4, 2015
5. Old Franklinton Cemetery Marker
sign on gate
Old Franklinton Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick
6. Old Franklinton Cemetery Marker
the original 1962 marker, downloaded from "digginguproots.com"
Old Franklinton Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, September 4, 2015
7. Old Franklinton Cemetery Marker
crest of the Franklinton Historical Society
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 7, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement