Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

“In This Churchyard…”

 
 
“In This Churchyard…” Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, September 4, 2015
1. “In This Churchyard…” Marker
close up, showing text, Side A, the North Side
Inscription.
(side A)
In this churchyard
stood the first church
of the community
The First Presbyterian Church
built and presented to
the congregation in 1811
by Lucas Sullivant

Here in this plot of ground,
which he gave to the pioneers,
he was buried, and later
removed to Green Lawn Cemetery.
(side B)
In memory of
the Pioneers
and
Lucas Sullivant
Founder of Franklinton
later called Columbus
1797

Erected by
the West Side Board of Trade
Committee
Mayor J.J. Thomas
Col. W.H.Duffy • J.W.Roller
C.O.Goss • R.L.Baker Sr.
H.J.Kline • J.G.Thomas
1931

 
Erected 1931 by West Side Board of Trade Committee.
 
Location. 39° 57.767′ N, 83° 1.326′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Davis Avenue and River Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in the Old Franklinton Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 778 River Street, Columbus OH 43222, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Franklinton Cemetery Archaeology (within
“In This Churchyard…” Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, September 4, 2015
2. “In This Churchyard…” Marker
close up, showing text; Side B, the South Side
shouting distance of this marker); Old Franklinton Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Lucas Sullivant Home Site (approx. ¼ mile away); Franklinton (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Franklinton (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Franklinton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Council Site Between William Henry Harrison and Indians (approx. 0.4 miles away); Maurice Gates (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
“In This Churchyard…” Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, September 4, 2015
3. “In This Churchyard…” Marker
full view of marker with multiple ancient stones, gathered at the base. "There is a time to gather stones together..." Ecclesiastes 3:5
“In This Churchyard…” Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, September 4, 2015
4. “In This Churchyard…” Marker
the marker, an obelisk, can be seen in full view. The first inscription is on the North side, the second on the South.
“In This Churchyard…” Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, September 4, 2015
5. “In This Churchyard…” Marker
marker can be seen at a distance, through the River Street gate
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 7, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement