Canton in Stark County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Building the McKinley National Memorial
Built from 1905 to 1907, the McKinley National Memorial is the final resting place for President McKinley, his wife Ida, and their two young daughters.
This magnificent tribute to our 25th President was built entirely from private donations, organized by the McKinley National Memorial Association. Today it is still privately owned and operated by the McKinley Presidential Library & Museum.
The association chose architect Harold Van Buren Magonigle’s design for the Monument, as it is known locally. They hired Harrison Granite Company of New York to erect the Monument and the Gorham Manufacturing Company of New York and Rhode Island to fabricate the bronze work.
The Monument is a double dome construction. There are two walls, interior and exterior, with a space in between, and two domes, an outer dome and inner dome, also with an access space. The brick foundation walls are made of more than 2,000,000 bricks, all produced in Stark County. The brick walls are set 15 feet deep on a double ringed wall of concrete.
The construction process was truly a national and international effort. Nine states contributed material for the project, arriving in Canton by rail and then brought on horse-drawn wagons to the work site. Ohio supplied the concrete, all of the brick, and much of the labor force. Massachusetts
Workers for the project were from many nationalities and races. There is even an account of African-Americans traveling from the Southeastern region of the United States all the way to Canton to ask for employment because of a deep admiration for President McKinley.
The Monument was finished in time for the dedication on September 30, 1907. The manicured lawn, trees, and shrubs gave the impression of a long-established park, when in fact only six months has passed since the first tree was planted.
“Thousands of loving hands have joined to bring the little family together in this beautiful temple.”
Location. 40° 48.428′ N, 81° 23.595′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. Marker is located next to the McKinley National Memorial, at the top of the stairs. Marker is in this post office area: Canton OH 44702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Symbolism of the McKinley National Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); William McKinley (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named William McKinley (about 300 feet away); Ohio War Memorial (about 300 feet away); The McKinley National Memorial (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named McKinley National Memorial (about 400 feet away); Base of the Conning Tower of the US Battleship Maine (approx. 0.4 miles away); French Cannon (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canton.
More about this marker. Several photographs of the Monument under construction and at its dedication appear on the monument.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 11, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.