Canton in Stark County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This cannon was taken by forces under the command of Admiral Dewey during the Spanish-American War in August 1898. It was being used for the defense of Santiago Harbor, in the Phillipines.
The cannon is made of bronze and was cast in Doury, France in June of 1748. It was cast during the reign of King Louis XV who was King of France from 1715 to 1774.
Mars God of War
Ultima Ratio Regum by the Ultimate Account
De Bourbon of the House of Burbon
Comie D’eu Count of Eu
Duc D’Aumale Duke ofNormandy
Pluribus Nec Impar Not Inferior to all the Others
The inscriptions could be read to say,
“When it comes to making war, Louis Charles, by the ultimate account,
is better at it than most.”
Location. 40° 48.664′ N, 81° 23.927′ W. Marker is in Canton, Ohio, in Stark County. Marker is at the intersection of Harrison Avenue NW and 13th Street NW, on the right when traveling south on Harrison Avenue NW. Touch for map. Marker is located in Westbrook Veterans Memorial Park. Marker is in this post office area: Canton OH 44702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spanish Mortar (here, next to Base of the Conning Tower of the US Battleship Maine (within shouting distance of this marker); Building the McKinley National Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Symbolism of the McKinley National Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); William McKinley (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named William McKinley (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ohio War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); The McKinley National Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canton.
Categories. • War, Spanish-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 11, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.