St. Ann Catholic Church
On Christmas Eve 1949, parishioner John Maher buried a statue of the Infant Jesus of Prague on this site and hopeful Catholics from the area began fund-raising efforts to build the first Catholic church in Bartlett. Within one year the site was purchased for $5,000. While construction progressed, services were held in a store at what is now Stage Road and Court Street. The church building was dedicated on October 19, 1952. In recognition of a gift from Bishop William O'Brien, the church was named "St. Ann" in honor of his sister Anna O'Brien of Chicago, Illinois. It was built of red brick, in a vernacular style of the period.
In 1955 Father Leonnard Ogelsby was assigned as St. Ann's first full-time pastor. During his 26-year tenure, a kindergarten and an elementary school were opened and the small rural parish grew into one of the largest in West Tennessee. To accommodate growth, a new church building was erected in 1969 at which time the original church structure was converted into classrooms. In 2002, that building was renamed "The St. Joachim Chapel" and, following renovations, was returned to use for religious services. St. Joachim was so honored because he and St. Ann were the parents of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
Erected by St. Ann Catholic
Location. 35° 12.261′ N, 89° 50.725′ W. Marker is in Bartlett, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Stage Road (Tennessee Route 15) and Charles Bryan Road on Stage Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6529 Stage Rd Bartlett, TN 38134, Memphis TN 38134, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Geographical Center of Shelby County (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bartlett, Tennessee (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bartlett Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Nicholas Gotten (approx. 1.4 miles away); Oak Grove Baptist Church (approx. 1½ miles away); Warren Chapel Pisgah Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Nashoba (approx. 2.6 miles away); Bridgewater School (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bartlett.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on September 14, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 17, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.