Near Georgetown in Scott County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
St. Francis Church
The oldest parish in Covington Diocese, this was a pioneer mission center for East Kentucky. Parish, second oldest in the state, was formed by Maryland settlers who arrived in 1786. First church built circa 1794; resident pastor was Reverend Stephen Theodore Badin, first priest ordained in U.S. Present church constructed in 1820 at a cost of $3,600.
Dedicated to Francis de Sales. Four priests who served here became bishops: Edward Fenwick (1822), Guy Chabrat (1834), F.P. Kenrick (Philadelphia, 1830, and Baltimore, 1851) and F. Brossart (1915). Bishop G.A. Carrell, also pastor here, established first seminary of Diocese, 1856. Visitation nuns located school and convent here, 1875; moved to Cardome, 1896.
Erected 1976 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 1593.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 12.43′ N, 84° 41.827′ W. Marker is near Georgetown, Kentucky, in Scott County. Marker is on Frankfort Pike (U.S. 460) 0.2 miles east of White Oak Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4086 Frankfort Pike, Georgetown KY 40324, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Branham's Mill / Galloway Pike Iron Bridge (approx. 2.9 miles away); Edward Dudley Brown / Noted Horseman (approx. 4 miles away); "Sue Mundy" Here (approx. 4 miles away); Morgan at Midway (approx. 4 miles away); Stamping Ground (approx. 4.4 miles away); Buffalo Springs (approx. 4½ miles away); Switzer Covered Bridge (approx. 4.6 miles away); Stonetown (approx. 5 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2015, by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 218 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 16, 2015, by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.