Chatham in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
New Jersey Journal
soldier Shepard Kollock printed
the New Jersey Journal on this
site “to maintain the cause of
freedom” and serve the army in
Morristown. The Journal, north
Jersey’s only wartime newspaper,
founded in 1779, later thrived
in Elizabeth from 1786 to 1991.
Morris County Heritage Commission
Erected 2001 by Morris County Heritage Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Morris County Heritage Commission marker series.
Location. 40° 44.357′ N, 74° 22.452′ W. Marker is in Chatham, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (County Route 124) and University Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 55 Main Street, Chatham NJ 07928, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Day's Bridge Summit (here, next to this marker); Chatham Historic District (about 500 feet Chatham Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Bonnel Town - Chatham (approx. ¾ mile away); Chatham (approx. 1.2 miles away); Signal Beacon and the “Old Sow” (approx. 1.6 miles away); Summit Opera House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Summit Playhouse (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chatham.
Also see . . .
1. Printing in New Jersey: An Introduction. Essay discussing early newspapers in New Jersey, including the work of Shepard Kollock. Also included are examples of Kollock's Work. (Submitted on July 6, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Historic Markers/Historic Preservation. Morris County Heritage Commission. (Submitted on August 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Places • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,311 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 6, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.