Madisonville in Hopkins County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Gov. Ruby Laﬀoon
Erected 1969 by the Kentucky Historical Society & the Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1232.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 19.586′ N, 87° 29.888′ W. Marker is in Madisonville, Kentucky, in Hopkins County. Marker is on Union Street 0.1 miles north of East Broadway Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 Union Street, Madisonville KY 42431, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Courthouse Burned (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); County Named, 1806 (about 600 feet away); The Hockersmith House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carlow's Stone Wall Rosenwald High School / Professor C. L. Timberlake (approx. 0.4 miles away); Army of Six (approx. 0.6 miles away); Forrest Reconnoitered (approx. one mile away); Century of Coal Mining (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madisonville.
More about this marker. This marker was moved, May of 2013, from the courthouse lawn to a new location next to the Hopkins County Historical Society on Union Street.
The marker pole at the former location is still there, with marker number, on the courthouse lawn.
Marker text obtained from the Kentucky Historical Society website.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on Governor Ruby Laffoon. (Submitted on September 20, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Education • Politics • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 20, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker at its new location on Union Street. • Can you help?