Snyder in Scurry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Snyder National Bank
In 1890 F. J. Grayum began the Snyder Bank, a private institution, in his drugstore on the south side of the square. Although Snyder had no railroad and goods were shipped on wagons from Colorado City (25 mi. S), W. A. Fuller, a wealthy rancher, saw the need for a national bank to encourage business growth. Fuller and his associates bought out Grayum's bank. The Snyder National Bank opened on March 13, 1905, with Grayum serving on the first board of directors and as cashier. Fuller was president and E. W. Clark served as vice president.
During the 1930s when many banks were closing, M. A. Fuller, who served as president from 1924-39, announced that he was bringing a plane loaded with cash into town. After unloading the sacks of money, Fuller invited the worried customers to withdraw their accounts. This dramatic move seemed to reassure the community and there was never a "run" on the bank.
After operating for a short time from Grayum's Drugstore, the bank occupied several locations on the square before moving to this site in 1957. Through the years the bank has served as a stable financial force in the county.
Erected 1971 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4971.)
Location. 32° 43.038′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1715 25th Street, Snyder TX 79549, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scurry County Courthouse Site and Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Scurry County (within shouting distance of this marker); County Named for Texas Confederate William R. Scurry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Company G (about 300 feet away); Site of O.K. Wagon Yard (about 400 feet away); County's First Law Men (about 400 feet away); Scurry County's Canyon Reef Oil Field (about 400 feet away); Home County of Famous Frontiersman J. Wright Mooar (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Snyder.
Also see . . . History of Bank. (Submitted on September 21, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 21, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 2. submitted on December 4, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3, 4. submitted on September 21, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.