Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Metapán, Santa Ana, El Salvador — Central America (West Coast)
 

Municipality of Metapán

La Municipalidad de Metapán

 
 
Municipality of Metapán Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, August 24, 2015
1. Municipality of Metapán Marker
Inscription.
Jaguares: Simbolo de Fortaleza y destreza de los indigenas, ahora
de nuestro municipio, cañones obtenidos en batalla librada en
Metapan en el año de 1903 contra el ejercito de Guatemala
Forman el barandal de nuestro portal.
Fronton principal, columnas dórica herencia de
la cultura y arquitectura traída por España
a los metapanecos. Al fondo un maguey
representando nuestro nombre
y en lo alto nuestra bandera
que al ondear envuelve
nuestros sueños.

Palacio Municipal en
Homenaje al buen gusto de nuestros habitantes
Jose Gumercindo Landaverd Galdamez
2001

English translation:
Jaguars: Symbol of the strength and ability of the native people that now represent our municipality. The rifle barrels obtained in a battle that took place in Metapán in 1903 against the army of Guatemala now form the fence of our entryway. The entryway includes doric columns that are the legacy of the culture and architecture brought from Spain to the people of Metapán. At the center, the seal of Metapán, with a maguey plant as a background representing our name and flying high, our flag that by waving captures our dreams.
Municipal Palace in tribute to the refinement of our inhabitants
Jose Gumercindo Landaverde Galdamez
2001
 
Erected
Municipality of Metapán additional marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, August 24, 2015
2. Municipality of Metapán additional marker
This marker mentions that the Municipal Palace was renovated during José Gumercindo Landaverde Galdámez's administration of 2000-2003. This marker is found on the left-most jaguar statue facing the Municipality.
2001 by Municipalidad de Metapán.
 
Location. 14° 19.907′ N, 89° 26.878′ W. Marker is in Metapán, Santa Ana. Touch for map. The marker is in front of the Municipal Palace of Metapán, on Avenida Benjamín Estrada Valiente.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bicentennial of the First Cry of Central American Independence (here, next to this marker); Centennial of Salvadoran Independence (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Peter Church of Metapán (within shouting distance of this marker).
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWars, Non-US
 
Municipality of Metapán additional marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, August 24, 2015
3. Municipality of Metapán additional marker
This decorative stone engraving is supposedly original to the Municipal Palace and reads, "Metapam Plaza de la Constitucion publicada el dia siete de noviembre de 1812", (Metapam Plaza of the Constitution of November 7, 1812). This refers to the Spanish Constitution of 1812.
Municipality of Metapán Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, August 24, 2015
4. Municipality of Metapán Marker
An overall view of the Municipality of Metapán and its various markers. Note the doric columns and maguey plant (above the entryway) mentioned in the marker. Metapán means "River of magueyes" in Nahuat.
Guatemalan rifle barrels as a fence around the jaguar statue. image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, August 24, 2015
5. Guatemalan rifle barrels as a fence around the jaguar statue.
The rifle barrels are mentioned in the marker text. These were captured during the 1903 "Guerra de los Totopostes" (The Corncake War, so named because of the food sent to soldiers stationed along the Guatemala-El Salvador border).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 24, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement