First Baptist Church, Lauderdale
Originally known as Beale Street Baptists Church First Baptist Church, Lauderdale began in 1865 as the first black Baptist church in West Tennessee. In 1877, it split from Beale Street Baptists. Through a legal action in 1894, it was authorized to retain the original 1865 charter and status as the First Baptist Church. The first pastor, the Rev. Morris Henderson, focused on education, ethics, and racial harmony.
Later, Dr. T.O. Fuller served as pastor. An educator, author, and advocator of racial adjustment, he organized the Inter-Racial League. In 1939, church officials utilized windows from its 1906 building when they relocated to this post-civil war site. Officially renamed in 1954 as First Baptist Church, Lauderdale. during the 1950s and 1960s civil rights leaders used the church to develop movement strategies.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4E 155.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 35° 7.72′ N, 90° 2.662′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Lauderdale and Mississippi Boulevard, on
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. T. H. Hayes and Sons Funeral Home (a few steps from this marker); Booker T. Washington High School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lucie Eddie Campbell (about 400 feet away); The Mount Nebo Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Owen College (approx. half a mile away); R.S. Lewis & Sons Funeral Home (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church / Mt. Olive CME Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bishop Charles Harrison Mason (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Also see . . . First Baptist Church Lauderdale. (Submitted on September 25, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Civil Rights •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 25, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.