Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Longview in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Kelly Plow Company

1882

 
 
Kelly Plow Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
1. Kelly Plow Company Marker
Inscription.
  When George Addison Kelly came to East Texas in 1852 at the age of twenty, he saw possibilities in the manufacture and sale of cowbells to supply wagoners and traders. Resolving to make the bells resonance better, he made a journey to Louisville. There he learned the art of foundry work.
  In 1860, Kelly founded the Kelly Plow Company in Kellyville, near Jefferson and designed and built the first Kelly Blue Plow. After the War between the States, Kelly created the "Pony Plow" and expanded his production to include other implements, tools and machines used in agriculture.
  In 1882, after a disastrous fire destroyed the Belleville Plant, George Kelly moved his operation to Longview, by then the junction for two railroads. The move proved sound for Kelly and Longview. Kelly Plow works is reported to be the second oldest chartered industry in Texas.
  George Kelly died in 1909, but his sons and grandsons kept Kelly Plow Company in production until 1975.
 
Erected 1996 by the Board of Directors of One Hundred Acres of Heritage, Inc.
 
Location. 32° 29.666′ N, 94° 44.445′ W. Marker is in Longview, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of South Center Street and West Cotton
Site of Kelly Plow Company Works image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
2. Site of Kelly Plow Company Works
Bounded by Center, Cotton and Court Streets.
Street, on the right when traveling south on South Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 South Center Street, Longview TX 75601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Timber – The First Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); King Cotton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Longview Municipal Building and Central Fire Station (about 300 feet away); When Mule Power Moved People (about 500 feet away); Then Came the Railroad (about 500 feet away); Banking — The Final Ingredient (about 700 feet away); Dalton Gang's Last Raid (about 700 feet away); Everett Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longview.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .
1. Texas State Historical Association article on Kelly Plow Company. (Submitted on September 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Texas State Historical Association article on George Addison Kelly. (Submitted on September 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & Commerce
 
Former location of Kelly Plow Company. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 18, 2015
3. Former location of Kelly Plow Company.
Another view of former company location. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 18, 2015
4. Another view of former company location.
Looking towards intersection of Cotton & Center Streets. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 18, 2015
5. Looking towards intersection of Cotton & Center Streets.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 181 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement