Longview in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A New County is Born
In April 1874, an additional 141 square miles south of the Sabine River were taken from Rusk County and given to Gregg. Longview was chosen over Awalt (Willow Springs) to become county seat. The Texas & Pacific belatedly donated an entire city block as the courthouse square, then platted a new town at Awalt, which remained undeveloped until it became Greggton in 1929.
Erected 2000 by One Hundred Acres of Heritage, Inc.
Location. 32° 29.734′ N, 94° 44.212′ W. Marker is in Longview, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Methvin Street and North Green Street when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in Heritage Plaza. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 East Methvin Street, Longview TX 75601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this First Came the Railroad (here, next to this marker); Longview Becomes the Hub for Railroad Expansion (here, next to this marker); The Railroad Transforms a Pioneer Community (here, next to this marker); A Railroad Boom Town Settles Down (a few steps from this marker); "Dolly" — Longview's First Fire Engine (a few steps from this marker); Rails, Timber and Cotton Bring Growth (a few steps from this marker); The Good Old Days (a few steps from this marker); Technology Brings Modern Conveniences (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longview.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association on Longview. (Submitted on September 28, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Government • Political Subdivisions • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 28, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.