Grand Haven in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Khardomah Lodge / Susan Hill Yerkes
In 1873 lumberman James Brayton built a cottage here, which he and his wife named "Khardomah Lodge." Susan Hill Yerkes bought the property in 1919, adding thirteen rooms and converting the cottage to a summer hotel, thus beginning Khardomah's history as part of Grand Haven's tourism industry. From 1938 to 1984, the lodge was owned by Jennie Smith and her daughter Helen Unger. Families from as far away as St. Louis and Little Rock returned to Khardomah each summer.
Susan Hill Yerkes
Susan Hill Yerkes owned Khardomah Lodge from 1919 to 1937. Yerkes [1861 - 1937] was highly educated and cultured for a woman of her time, and expert in Greek, Latin and German. From 1901 to 1926, Yerkes and her sister Mary Helen served as teachers and co-principals of the Ackley Institute, a girls school in Grand Haven. During that time, Susan took students to Paris to study and acquired art objects that she displayed in Khardomah Lodge.
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1751.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 3.102′ N, 86° 14.53′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1365 Lake Avenue, Grand Haven MI 49417, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Highland Park Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Boardwalk (approx. 0.6 miles away); Escanaba Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); To The Enlisted Men of the United States Coast Guard (approx. 0.6 miles away); Escanaba Memorial Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); In Memory of the Coast Guard Men and Women (approx. 0.6 miles away); Shipwrecks and the Coast Guard / The Escanaba (approx. 0.6 miles away); Grand Haven Coast Guard Festival (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Haven.
Categories. • Education • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 180 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 28, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.