Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Longview in Champaign County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Site of German Lutheran Immanuel Church

 
 
Site of German Lutheran Immanuel Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sally Duchow, September 26, 2015
1. Site of German Lutheran Immanuel Church Marker
Inscription. Services for this congregation began in 1870 in the Fairview schoolhouse one mile west, on the N.E. corner. The congregation was organized on October 29, 1876. This site for the first church, 208' x 209', was donated on January 11, 1877 by Claus and Emma Edens. Church was held here until August 18, 1895, when Immanuel Lutheran Church moved two miles east and one mile north of this location.
Site dedicated August 12, 2001 for the 125th Anniversary
 
Erected 2001 by Immanuel Lutheran Church.
 
Location. 39° 55.397′ N, 88° 3.652′ W. Marker is near Longview, Illinois, in Champaign County. Marker is on County Route 300N mile east of County Route 2100E, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Longview IL 61852, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Former Site of Orizaba IL (approx. 2 miles away); Community Honor Roll of Those Who Served (approx. 2.7 miles away); Potawatomi Trail of Death (approx. 7.1 miles away); Croghan Treaty with Pontiac (approx. 10.4 miles away); On The Bloomington Road / The Clark Neighborhood
Site of German Lutheran Immanuel Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sally Duchow, September 26, 2015
2. Site of German Lutheran Immanuel Church Marker
(approx. 11.3 miles away); Beginning of the Lincoln Circuit Trail (approx. 11.3 miles away); Lincoln in Tolono (approx. 11.5 miles away); Lincoln 1861 Inaugural Train Stop (approx. 11.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longview.
 
Regarding Site of German Lutheran Immanuel Church. Original church records gave congregation location as "Orizaba" Illinois. The church grew out of mission contacts from St. John Lutheran Church in Champaign, Illinois, by Rev. Grupe, who also served Lutherans at Sidney, Philo, and Sadorus. Church history and records are available at the Urbana Free Library Archives in Urbana, Illinois. The village of Broadlands is almost equidistant from the marker.
 
Additional comments.
1. donor of stone
A second small plaque at the bottom of the stone notes the large rock was donated by Theodore and Jane Gray.
    — Submitted October 2, 2015, by Sally Duchow of Champaign, Illinois.

 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2015, by Sally Duchow of Champaign, Illinois. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 2, 2015, by Sally Duchow of Champaign, Illinois. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement