Longview in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Oil Boom Brings Renewal
The five-story Gregg Hotel, opened in 1930 and doubled in size by Conrad Hilton five years later, stood on the present site of Heritage Plaza. Prominent residential developments of the era included Forest Hills, Nugget Hill, Surrey Place and the Mobberly Addition. State Highway 15 was widened and became U.S. Highway 80, nicknamed "Main Street of Texas" across the oil field.
Erected 2000 by One Hundred Acres of Heritage, Inc.
Location. 32° 29.749′ N, 94° 44.202′ W. Marker is in Longview, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of North Green Street and East Methvin Street, on the right when traveling south on North Green Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 East Methvin Street, Longview TX 75601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. World War II & Its Aftermath (here, next to this marker); A City That Grows (here, next to this marker); First Discovery Wells and Then the Boom! (here, next to this marker); Transportation: Model T's, Trains & Trolleys (a few steps from this marker); Longview Charters First Industry in Texas (a few steps from this marker); The Fabulous Fifties (a few steps from this marker); The End of the Beginning (a few steps from this marker); Longview Expands Its Influence (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longview.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 258 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 2, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.