Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carbondale in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Carbondale

 
 
Carbondale Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 28, 2015
1. Carbondale Marker
Inscription. Founded by the Wurts brothers, pioneers in developing anthracite resources of the region, in 1822. Here the first underground mine was opened in June, 1831, near Seventh Ave. Chartered as a city in 1851.
 
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission.
 
Location. 41° 34.328′ N, 75° 30.196′ W. Marker is in Carbondale, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Touch for map. The marker is located at City Hall and across from the Fire Station. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 6th Avenue, Carbondale PA 18407, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Patrolman William F. McAndrew (within shouting distance of this marker); Carbondale City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Carbondale City Hall / Memorial Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. Alvin D. Ungerleider (within shouting distance of this marker); War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); General Jerome F. O’Malley (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Church Street: Five of Carbondale’s many historic Churches (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carbondale.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Carbondale Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 28, 2015
2. Carbondale Marker
Carbondale City Hall image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 28, 2015
3. Carbondale City Hall
Carbondale Fire Station image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 28, 2015
4. Carbondale Fire Station
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 2, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement